Would you like to take this journey with me? Subscribe by email to join me on my path to finding joy in the midst of this Crazy Amazing Life.

Saturday, January 16, 2010

Pantry Challenge -- Week 2 Check-in

So...

As y'all know from my previous post this past week was Super Doubles at Harris Teeter, which kind of knocked me off the pantry challenge wagon. I ended up spending a total of $101.33 on groceries this week, which truly is no more than my regular weekly budget was only a few months ago, and I got A LOT more food than I would have in the past. (I was even able to get 6 Danimals yogurt 6-packs for under $4 to donate to the Preston Taylor Ministries, the local after-school program where I used to work and still volunteer when I can.) But, the whole point of the Pantry Challenge was to use what I already had on hand and avoid stocking up. Oh well...

This week my goal is to get back in-line with the pantry challenge and only buy perishable goods and to only restock things that we need and can't make it through the week without. I will primarily be buying milk, fruit, and vegetables. I also have to restock our pantry with extra-virgin olive oil. We ran out at the end of the week, and I use it in nearly everything I cook. I am also planning to buy some cans of soup for my husband to take to work with him for lunch. I'm trying to keep this weeks spending to $40, but since 25% of that will go to the olive oil alone it might be a little difficult.

My menu for the coming week has to change slightly because our Sunday School Chili Cook-off is actually taking place during week 4, not week 3. These changes are reflected below:

WEEK THREE

Chicken Taco Grande

Super Pot Roast

Grilled Chicken Breast with Vegetable Soup

Penne with Asparagus and Cherry Tomatoes with added Chicken Breast

Chicken Pesto Spaghetti with Zucchini and Squash Ribbons

WEEK FOUR

Chicken & Corn "Beanless" Chili (for our Sunday School Chili Cook-off Potluck)

Chicken Fajitas with Saffron Rice

Spicy Grilled Chicken Breasts with Rice and Broccoli

Cranberry Glazed Chicken with cornbread and salad

Spicy Pan-Grilled Pork Chops with Egg Noodles and Broccoli

Can you tell we like broccoli?

Hopefully, all this planning will mean we stick to the menu. This past week was crazy as I went back to work part-time, but we were still really disciplined and managed to make sure that we made everything that I had planned and nothing went to waste. I'll be heading to the grocery store(s) tomorrow to pick-up the fresh items I need for the week. I'm determined to stick to just what is on my list this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment