Would you like to take this journey with me? Subscribe by email to join me on my path to finding joy in the midst of this Crazy Amazing Life.

Thursday, January 14, 2010

Twice is Nice



Growing up my mom and one of her best friends ran a children's consignment sale out of our house. Twice a year we had to give up our playroom and our garage as they began to fill-up with clothing and toys. I remember that when I was a child, I despised those sale weeks. Not only was my mom SUPER busy, but I was also limited to where I could play. My mom quit running the sale about the time I started middle school. By that time, I wore uniforms to school, so shopping for clothes was very different than when I was younger.

To be honest, I hadn't really thought much about consignment sales over the years until I was pregnant with my older daughter. At the time, I was constantly checking Craigslist to look for great deals on baby gear. One day, I came across a post for a consignment sale that was being held by a PTA to benefit a local elementary.

After that first experience with consignment sales as a mom I was hooked, and I began seeking out more sales in my area. Thankfully, I am in an area that has A LOT of sales, so I have the opportunity to go to a bunch. (To find consignment sales in your area check out the KCS website and click on "seasonal sales.")

Why do I love consignment sales so much?
1) THEY'RE CHARITABLE! The majority benefit churches, schools, or other non-profit organizations. Even the sales run by individuals often donate at least a portion of their proceeds to a chosen charity.
2) THEY'RE GREEN! Consignment sales are a great way to recycle perfectly good used clothing.
3) THEY'RE CHEAP! Clothing (and toys for that matter) are generally priced 50% or more below the original retail price. I have gotten so used to consingment sale prices on clothes that these days I can even get sticker shock from the prices on clothing at Target and Walmart.

This post is the first of a series I am starting on consignment sales. I am also planning posts on consignment sale tips as well as profiles of the local sales that I love.

No comments:

Post a Comment