Would you like to take this journey with me? Subscribe by email to join me on my path to finding joy in the midst of this Crazy Amazing Life.

Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Make-Ahead and Freeze




Ever since baby girl #2 came along, I have really had to find creative ways to get a good, healthy, home-cooked meal on the table each night for dinner. As you know by now, I prefer the homemade over the prepackaged. Not only do I avoid a lot of the salt and preservatives that are in prepackaged foods when you make it yourself, but I also find that I prefer the way homemade meals taste.

For the past six months I have been experimenting with make-ahead and freeze recipes that I can easily pop in the oven to have ready in time for dinner. I have had some great success so far with some recipes and at least one total failure that resulted in having to utilize the oven's self-cleaning process.

At the same time, I have started learning more about moms like Kelly at Faithful Provisions and FishMama at Life as Mom who take a few days at the first of the month to prepare a number of meals and snacks for their families. In the past, when I have made meals to freeze, I have just found an hour here or there. I have not been as organized and proactive at setting aside a few days to get this done. This week I have several recipes I would like to make, but I know that I am not able to devote two full days.

I am planning to post my recipes as I cook. I am also planning to make this a regular feature on this blog. Check back soon. There should be at least one recipe posted by Friday. In the mean time you can check out my one-serving spinach quiche recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment