Would you like to take this journey with me? Subscribe by email to join me on my path to finding joy in the midst of this Crazy Amazing Life.

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Drop Everything and Read!

One of my resolutions this year was to find time to read more, and recently I joined Book Sneeze where I can free books on all sorts of topics that I may never have found otherwise. I got my first Book Sneeze book in the mail this past Friday and read nearly all of it that evening. Below is my review. I have reviews of some other books in the works as well.

John Bunyan
by Kevin Belmonte
One of the installments in the Christian Encounters series, this biography of John Bunyan is a celebration of his life and his work by author Kevin Belmonte. The book traces Bunyan’s life from his early childhood to his Christian enlightenment and subsequent imprisonment for refusing to conform to the demands of the Church of England. These experiences would all serve to inform his great literary work The Pilgrim’s Progress, which would later influence great authors from George Elliot to Jane Austen to Harriet Beecher Stowe and was one of the only books Abraham Lincoln owned as a child. Throughout the book, Belmonte uses a very admiring tone of John Bunyan and his life’s work. As I read, I found myself surprised that I had never heard of John Bunyan or had the opportunity to read The Pilgrim’s Progress. This book is probably best suited for readers interested in English and/or Christian Literature.

No comments:

Post a Comment