Would you like to take this journey with me? Subscribe by email to join me on my path to finding joy in the midst of this Crazy Amazing Life.

Thursday, December 3, 2009

Surviving the Christmas Season

As I am sitting down to begin writing this first post for this blog, I am wondering just how much the craziness of the holiday season has to do with me feeling like I need to start this blog. I kind of feel like I have been on a carnival ride that has been steadily gaining speed since Halloween and since Thanksgiving has hit warp speed. Every year I try to plan ahead and tackle as much as I can before Advent begins, but I still often find myself caught in the whirlwind of the season. Never mind the fact that this really should be a quiet, contemplative period focused on the true meaning of the season.

One of the biggest stresses of the Christmas season is of course finding (and affording!) the perfect gifts for everyone on my list. I have long been a fan of creating gifts in jar. As a first grade teacher, I even wrapped a measurement unit around making Gingerbread Cookie Mix in a jar with my students to give as gifts to their parents. Now that I'm the one with several teacher gifts to give as well as a hand full of hostess gifts, I've once again decided to create jarred gifts that are both cute and economical, but I'm also planning to shake it up a bit this year. Instead of making cookie mix, I'm planning to make Candy Cane Bath Salts in a Jar thanks to the recipe I got from the Organized Christmas website. My favorite thing about this gift is that my two-year-old will be able to help me assemble each jar of bath salts for her teachers. My second favorite thing is that these gifts should cost me less than $2 each. Here's to hoping that keeping these gifts budget friendly while spending time together as a family to make them will help to take a little bit of stress out and add a little bit of joy in.

Pictures to come once they're complete!

No comments:

Post a Comment